Tasty and cost-effective 30-minute meals to try
VEGETABLE NOODLE STIR-FRY
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 tbsp vegetable oil
½ onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely sliced
3 cups Swiss chard, torn
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
½ head broccoli, cut into small pieces
½ cup soy sauce
4 packets instant noodles, cooked and drained
3 tbsp chilli oil (optional)
¼ cup micro herbs (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 3–5 minutes until the onion is cooked.
2. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the Swiss chard, pepper, carrots and broccoli.
3. Stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still crunchy.
4. Add the soy sauce to the vegetables and heat through.
5. To serve, toss the noodles with the vegetables and soy sauce and serve hot with chilli oil on the side. Garnish the noodles with fresh micro herbs for an extra special touch.
BEEF TACO BOWLS
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
6 tortilla wraps
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated
400 g beef mince
2 tsp paprika
1 tin tomato braai relish
1 tin red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
⅓ cup mayonnaise
3 handfuls lettuce leaves
1 tin whole kernel corn
⅓ cup grated Cheddar
½ cup coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line 6 small square heatproof casserole dishes with baking paper.
2. Press the wraps into the lined dishes and brush with a bit of oil. Bake for 10–15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
3. While the wraps are cooking, heat the remaining oil in a pan over medium heat.
4. Add the onion and carrot and cook for 7 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
5. Add the beef mince and paprika and stir-fry until cooked.
6. Add the tomato braai relish and beans, heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. To serve, spread the inside of each taco bowl with a thin layer of mayonnaise and line with lettuce leaves. Spoon some corn and mince into each bowl and top with grated cheese and fresh coriander.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 small baguettes, halved lengthways
1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
cup tomato puree
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2½ cups grated Cheddar
8 slices ham
½ pineapple, peeled and chopped
1½ cups sliced mushrooms
¼ cup basil
1. Preheat the oven grill to high.
2. Place the baguette halves cut side up on a baking tray and grill for 5 minutes until just toasted. Remove from the oven and rub with the garlic clove.
3. Spread 1 heaped tbsp tomato puree on to each half and sprinkle with dried herbs.
4. Sprinkle half the grated cheese on to each baguette and divide the ham, pineapple pieces and sliced mushrooms between each baguette. Top with the remaining grated cheese.
5. Place the baguettes under the grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5–6 minutes.
6. Serve hot topped with fresh basil.
Subscribe to Club, for more cost-effective 30-minute meals.